Cyprus has it all for creative photographers
Cyprus has a huge amount to offer creative photographers. Sea, mountains, picturesque villages, interesting people – all add up to limitless opportunities for you to take some stunning pictures home. In the Spring and the Autumn the light has an almost magical quality you’ll really enjoy.
The people of Cyprus are warm and friendly. Smile, and they are usually happy to pose for portraits too! Get out into the villages and you’ll encounter a way of life and a pace far removed from the 21st century.
Look out for…
Things to look out for include:
- The Archaeological Park and the Tombs of the Kings (take a wide angle lens!) in Paphos
- Paphos Castle and harbour
- The villages (check out Kallepia, Kelokedara and Miliou)
- The deserted villages (check out Vretsia, Souskiou and Androlikou)
- The monasteries (check out Agia Moni in Pano Panagia, Agios Neophytos in Tala, Chrysorrogiatissa Monastery in Pano Panagia, Kykkos Monastery and if you fancy a bit of cross country adventuring the beautiful Panayia tou Sindi in a valley near Pentalia
- The sunsets – the coastline from Paphos north to Polis faces west pretty much all the way – a gift for setting up sunset shots with the sun reflecting in the sea
- The Avakas Gorge – take some strong shoes and don’t go when its been wet
- The countryside – the Akamas Peninsula and Paphos Forest will both provide an endless source of subjects of unspoiled countryside
You can almost always take terrific sunset pictures from the coast north of Paphos
A word of caution. If you venture near the ‘Green Line’ – the border between southern and northern Cyprus – keep your camera in your bag. The military authorities take a dim view of appearing in your holiday pictures.
A villa holiday is an ideal way to enjoy photography in Cyprus. The freedom to come and go as you wish, ready access to power to download your cards and recharge your batteries, no times you have to meet.
And of course in the middle of the day when the sun’s too harsh for photography, go and have a splash in your villa’s private pool.